10 February 2009

Some Cool Scary Stuff

My 9.5 month old just climbed the stairs from our basement to our main floor for the first time today. That is nearly 2 months earlier than her big brother... We are going to have to watch that girl.

I had my second massage of the year today.... I just love company benefits... I actually tweaked my lower back and put it into spasms a couple of weeks ago and today I came close to it again. This getting old thing is really not good and I am not even 40 yet.

O.K. Linking to other blogs seems to be what a lot of people do so I will try it. This is a blog from a former employer (sort of). http://www.audiobibles2.blogspot.com/ this gentleman has been around the world translating the bible into different languages. His son has followed in his father's footsteps with the formation of the Talking Bible. This was done because the majority of people in the 3rd world can't read... duh... They realized that it takes millions of dollars and decades of work to translate a bible into a new language. Once that is done, in many cases, most of the people that speak that language cannot read. They thought "Why not record that new language" that way, for around 1% of the cost of the translation you can reach 100% of the people that speak that language... this not only helps spread the gospel but it also helps keep a record of that language, it's pronunciation and it's spoken grammar... interesting huh

This is where I came in. I helped design the first "analogue" talking bible in 1998/99. It was a really interesting project. We were trying to get 24 hours of recording time onto a single 90 minute cassette... we couldn't use the capstan and roller to maintain a constant speed so we had to come up with a way to control the speed of the motor... we also had to get a very high gain low noise audio amp (120dB gain).

I also just told my wife that i had a blog... she was mad that I didn't tell her or send her the link... I guess I will have to do that now.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was not mad. I was just surprised you had a blog and didn't tell me. Am I going to have to proof read your blogs before you post them?
Love ya Hon.