12 February 2009

How to donate blood

Blood Donation in Canada;
  1. Make an appointment by calling 1-888-2donate.
  2. Sign in and make your next appointment for 56 days from today.
  3. Sit with a nurse and verify who you are then get stuck in the finger to get your Cu / Fe level checked.
  4. Fill out a questionnaire about your health
  5. Sit with a second nurse and get your blood-pressure, heart-rate and temperature checked
  6. Answer some more personal questions about your history with the nurse
  7. Go sit on a really comfortable chair while a nurse cleans your arm and inserts a needle.
  8. Wait for 5-10 minutes and talk to the nurses joke have fun.
  9. have the nurse remove the needle
  10. repeat step 8
  11. go have a cookie and juice
  12. Go home and have an excuse not to do housework / heavy lifting for 24 hours...
It's really easy and the people in the clinic (at least in Guelph) are a lot of fun and really nice. if you are in Guelph you should book an appointment and go. It takes less than an hour.

I give blood about every 56 days.

1 comment:

Miss Laura said...

Somewhere in there I think I'd have to add "pass out" for me. Yikes. I can barely give blood for testing without feeling light headed when I see the viles there. Probably psychological - maybe I need to design an desensitization program for myself because I like the idea of me being able to give blood.